- The Emergence of Sexuality: Historical Epistemology and the Formation of Concepts. Havard University of Press, 2001.
- “Closing up the Corpses: Diseases of Sexuality and the Emergence of the Psychiatric Style of Reasoning,” in G. Boolos, ed., Mind, Meaning and Method: Essays in Honor of Hilary Putnam, Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- “Is Rawls A Kantian?,” Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, January/April, 1985.
- “Archaeology, Genealogy, Ethics,” in D. Hoy, ed., Foucault: A Critical Reader, Basil Blackwell, 1986.
- “How to Do the History of Psychoanalysis: A Reading of Freud’s Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality,” Critical Inquiry, Winter, 1987.
- “Questions Concerning Heidegger,” Critical Inquiry, Winter, 1989.
- “The Horror of Monsters” in J. Sheehan and M. Sosna, eds., Human, Animals and Machines, University of California Press, 1991.
- “Reading Hadot Reading Plotinus”, Introduction to Pierre Hadot. Plotinus or the Simplicity of Vision, University of Chicago, 1993.
- “Ethics as Ascetics: Foucault, the History of Ethics and Ancient Thought,” in J. Goldstein, ed., Foucault, Basil Blackwell, 1994.